Coventry City Council Flexible Energy Rules for Energy Company Obligation grants

Coventry City Council Flexible Energy (LA Flex)

If you’re looking for a way to stay warm this winter, apply now for the Coventry City Council grant that will enable you with insulation work or installation. Remember it is never too late and by doing so your home can be as comfortable as possible during these cold months of winter!

ECO grants are available to help save you money on your energy bills! If you’re upgrading, the Council can provide support. Act now before this opportunity is gone forever!

1. What is Local Authority Flexible Energy or LA Flex?

The government wants to make sure that you are living comfortably and in a safe home, which is why they have created the LA Flex program. These grants are for low-income households struggling with fuel poverty money for heating their homes this winter!

The Government wants to help vulnerable and low-income households this winter, so they’ve obligated power suppliers to provide funding for energy efficiency. Coventry City Council has published their eligibility rules on the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) grant scheme in its Statement of Intent document which enables residents apply for grants. This post explains how you can be eligible too!

2. What grants are available?

The types of grants available to residents living in the Coventry City Council area include:

Boiler grants are expected to be removed from the grant scheme in the next phase so you should apply for this grant as soon as possible.

3. Who is eligible for grants?

The program is a helpful and informative resource for homeowners, renters, and those living in housing associations. The easiest way to see if you are eligible is to use our eligibility checker here.


eco scheme eligibility rules for pensioners


There are 6 ways to qualify for a grant:

1. Receiving a qualifying benefit
2. Receiving Child Benefit and meeting income rules
3. Income-based eligibility (for households that earn less than £31,000 per year)
4. Vulnerable eligibility
5. Health-related eligibility
6. Bespoke targeting

This route to eligibility applies where a member of the household receives or has received a 'qualifying benefit'. If the benefit isn't a current claim (for example for households where they have gone back to work after the pandemic) providing the benefit has been claimed at some point within the last 12 months, the household will still be eligible for a grant.

Qualifying benefits include:

- Child Tax Credit

- Employment & Support Allowance (Income Based) - Income Support

- Housing Benefit

- Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)

- Pension Credit Guarantee Credit

- Pension Credit Savings Credit

- Universal Credit

- Working Tax Credit

Note if you receive any of the following benefits you could qualify later in the scheme (or through the ECO4 Flex routes). We advise anyone claiming the following benefits to register for updates so you are the first to know when these benefits are accepted.

- Armed Forces Independence Payment

- Attendance Allowance

- Carer's Allowance

- Constant Attendance Allowance

- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

- War Pensions Mobility Supplement

If you receive Child Benefit you could be eligible for the scheme but unlike the qualifying benefits above they would need to meet an additional income criteria.

The Child Benefit income criteria depends on the number of children in the household and also whether the claim is a single or joint claim.

The income limits are as follows:

Single parents

1 Child – £19,900
2 Children – £24,800
3 Children – £29,600
4+ Children – £34,500

Parents in a couple

1 Child – £27,500
2 Children – £32,300
3 Children – £37,200
4+ Children – £42,000

(figures updated to Ofgem’s Administration Consultation released on 13 June 2022)

If you are eligible through the Child Benefit route you should apply as soon as you can. The Government's Green Homes Grant excluded Child Benefit recipients so potentially this eligibility route could be removed later in the the scheme.

To be eligible through the income-based route your annual household income will need to be under £31,000. You will need to provide evidence such as bank statements and income information to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Vulnerable people can access grants if they meet two of the following criteria (1 & 3 can’t be used together):

1. Lives in a Lower Super Output Area

2. Receives Council Tax Rebate (excluding for single person discounts)

3. Householder has a disability, mental health condition, is over 65, school children or under 16 and pregnant women.

4. Receives free school meals due to a low income

5. Supported by a Council scheme described in a Statement of Intent

6. Households referred by a Citizen’s advice as struggling to pay gas and electricity bills

7. Households in energy debt

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

People with health conditions that are made worse by living in a cold home qualify.

These include:

- Cardiovascular diseases

- Immunosuppressed

- Mobility issues

- Respiratory conditions

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Installers can target specific groups of people living in fuel poverty. Installers will approach you if your property is eligible through this route.

Coventry City Council

If you DON'T claim benefits, the criteria for identifying households in fuel poverty in Coventry City Council are as follows:

Criteria for Coventry City Council eligible households

1. Low-Income

  • A household will be considered to be living on a low income if the gross annual income is less than the relevant figure in Tables 1 – 3


2. High Cost

  • Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) showing that it is in Band E, F or G.


3. Low income and is vulnerable to the health effects of living in a cold home

• Respiratory illness (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,
emphysema, chronic bronchitis, asthma)
• Cardiovascular disease (heart disease, stroke and transient ischaemic attack)
• Diabetes
• Blood conditions such as sickle cell anaemia or thalassemia
• Osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis
• Cancer
• Neurological conditions including motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis
and Parkinson’s disease.
• Mental ill-health e.g. depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder,

• Aged 65 or older
• Have a disability
• Are a child aged up to 18 years old
• Are pregnant
• Reduced mobility with a risk of trips & falls



St Michael's
Binley and Willenhall
Lower Stoke
Upper Stoke

Eligibility does not guarantee funding. For full details see the full Statement of Intent.

5. How much could you get?

As a homeowner, it’s important to understand how Ofgem calculates the grant they will be giving you which is influenced by factors such as your current heating system. Knowing this information can help you plan for investments in energy-saving equipment that could save on money and make life easier down the line!

The grants are currently available as follows (subject to survey and meeting eligibility rules):

Download your EPC

The grant is paid directly to the Registered Installer and because it is a grant, you do not have to repay them. Where contributions are required for installation costs, your installer will quote rates in advance of work being done so that there are no surprises. The free survey can determine what funding options might be available for you if any exist at all!

Coventry City Council flexible energy (LA Flex) rules are detailed in this Statement of Intent

A full list of all local authority flexible energy rules can be found on the website

Apply for a grant

Check eligibility for grants

Fill in the short form to see if you are eligible for Government grants.