Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council Flexible Energy Rules for Energy Company Obligation grants

Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council Flexible Energy (LA Flex)

The Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council is always looking for ways to improve the quality of life in their town. This time, they have a new initiative that will help people do just that – residents who are eligible can apply and get this money which would be able to help them install or upgrade heating with insulation!

1. What is Local Authority Flexible Energy or LA Flex?

The government is helping those on a low income who may not be able to afford the high cost of living. You can enter LA Flex, which will provide monthly payments for these households so they are warm and comfortable in their homes without spending too much time worrying about how they will pay bills.

It’s great to hear that the people we work with are committed to helping us alleviate some of our burdens. These measures include improving home efficiency so families can live comfortably without wasting too much money on utilities, and providing financial aid for those who need it via a program called Local Authority Flexible Program. If someone needs the fund’s LA Flex provides them!

The Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council has announced a new grant program that will benefit residents in need. In this post, you’ll learn about the eligibility requirements as well as what kinds of grants are available for eligible recipients!

2. What grants are available?

The types of grants available to residents living in the Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council area include:

3. Who is eligible for grants?

The grant will be there for the homeowners- those renting from a housing association and private renters alike. The easiest way to see if you are eligible is to use our eligibility checker here.


eco scheme eligibility rules for pensioners


There are 6 ways to qualify for a grant:

1. Receiving a qualifying benefit
2. Receiving Child Benefit and meeting income rules
3. Income-based eligibility (for households that earn less than £31,000 per year)
4. Vulnerable eligibility
5. Health-related eligibility
6. Bespoke targeting

This route to eligibility applies where a member of the household receives or has received a 'qualifying benefit'. If the benefit isn't a current claim (for example for households where they have gone back to work after the pandemic) providing the benefit has been claimed at some point within the last 12 months, the household will still be eligible for a grant.

Qualifying benefits include:

- Child Tax Credit

- Employment & Support Allowance (Income Based) - Income Support

- Housing Benefit

- Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)

- Pension Credit Guarantee Credit

- Pension Credit Savings Credit

- Universal Credit

- Working Tax Credit

Note if you receive any of the following benefits you could qualify later in the scheme (or through the ECO4 Flex routes). We advise anyone claiming the following benefits to register for updates so you are the first to know when these benefits are accepted.

- Armed Forces Independence Payment

- Attendance Allowance

- Carer's Allowance

- Constant Attendance Allowance

- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

- War Pensions Mobility Supplement

If you receive Child Benefit you could be eligible for the scheme but unlike the qualifying benefits above they would need to meet an additional income criteria.

The Child Benefit income criteria depends on the number of children in the household and also whether the claim is a single or joint claim.

The income limits are as follows:

Single parents

1 Child – £19,900
2 Children – £24,800
3 Children – £29,600
4+ Children – £34,500

Parents in a couple

1 Child – £27,500
2 Children – £32,300
3 Children – £37,200
4+ Children – £42,000

(figures updated to Ofgem’s Administration Consultation released on 13 June 2022)

If you are eligible through the Child Benefit route you should apply as soon as you can. The Government's Green Homes Grant excluded Child Benefit recipients so potentially this eligibility route could be removed later in the the scheme.

To be eligible through the income-based route your annual household income will need to be under £31,000. You will need to provide evidence such as bank statements and income information to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Vulnerable people can access grants if they meet two of the following criteria (1 & 3 can’t be used together):

1. Lives in a Lower Super Output Area

2. Receives Council Tax Rebate (excluding for single person discounts)

3. Householder has a disability, mental health condition, is over 65, school children or under 16 and pregnant women.

4. Receives free school meals due to a low income

5. Supported by a Council scheme described in a Statement of Intent

6. Households referred by a Citizen’s advice as struggling to pay gas and electricity bills

7. Households in energy debt

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

People with health conditions that are made worse by living in a cold home qualify.

These include:

- Cardiovascular diseases

- Immunosuppressed

- Mobility issues

- Respiratory conditions

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Installers can target specific groups of people living in fuel poverty. Installers will approach you if your property is eligible through this route.

Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council

If you DON'T claim benefits, the criteria for identifying households in fuel poverty in Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council are as follows:

Criteria for Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council eligible households

1. Low-Income and High Cost

  • Have a household income below the corresponding thresholds in Table 1 AND
  • The property has an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E, F or G


2. Vulnerable to Cold

  • Receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Attendance Allowance (AA) OR
  • Where a resident is vulnerable if:
    • Pregnant (Mat B1 letter)
    • Children aged under 5 (birth certificate)
    • Aged over 65 (birth certificate, driving licence, passport, medical letter)
    • Hospital admission due to a fall (Letter from a medical professional) OR
  • Has a health condition that can be exacerbated by the cold including:
    • Cardiovascular conditions
    • Respiratory conditions (in particular, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and childhood asthma)
    • Musculoskeletal conditions (osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis)
    • Neurological conditions (ME, fibromyalgia, dementia, multiple sclerosis and epilepsy)
    • Autoimmune and immunodeficiency diseases (for example, lupus, Multiple Sclerosis, diabetes, HIV, resulting from cancer treatment)
    • Mental health conditions (moderate/severe for example, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder)
    • Disabilities (diagnosed condition or impact on mobility or receipt of disability benefit)
    • Terminal illness
    • Severe learning disability
    • Cancer
    • Hemoglobinopathies (sickle cell disease and thalassaemia)




Twycross and Witherley with Sheepy
Cadeby, Carlton and Market Bosworth with Shackerstone
Barlestone, Nailstone and Osbaston
Ratby, Bagworth and Thornton
Hinckley Castle
Hinckley De Montfort
Hinckley Clarendon
Hinckley Trinity
Burbage St Catherines and Lash Hill
Burbage Sketchley and Stretton
Earl Shilton
Markfield, Stanton and Fieldhead
Newbold Verdon with Desford and Peckleton


5. How much could you get?

The vast majority of homes in the United Kingdom are heated by gas, oil or electricity. If you have an existing home heating system that meets Ofgem’s stringent requirements and if it is efficient before installing new equipment then there may be a grant available to help subsidize your installation costs.

When you install your next energy-efficient wall, make sure to take into account the type of materials used and how big it is. The cost will be calculated by an installer who can also tell you about grants that may be available for low-income families.

The grants are currently available as follows (subject to survey and meeting eligibility rules):

Download your EPC

If you’re looking to install insulation in your home, we’ve got a great offer for you. You’ll be paid directly by the installer so there’s no need for repayment! The installer will quote costs beforehand and explain them before proceeding with the installation. Once installed we can also provide information on funding programs through our free survey that is open-ended!

Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council flexible energy (LA Flex) rules are detailed in this Statement of Intent

A full list of all local authority flexible energy rules can be found on the gov.uk website

Apply for a grant

Check eligibility for grants

Fill in the short form to see if you are eligible for Government grants.