Metropolitan Borough of Bury Flexible Energy Rules for Energy Company Obligation grants

Metropolitan Borough of Bury Flexible Energy (LA Flex)

The Metropolitan Borough of Bury has published their set of rules which will allow residents to apply for ECO grants. If you are interested in installing insulation or upgrading your heating on your property, then these rules may be relevant to you!

1. What is Local Authority Flexible Energy or LA Flex?

If you are living on a low income and feel threatened by the harsh winter, don’t worry. The government is obligated to provide funds for insulation and heating through ECOs – or Energy Company Obligations where supplier companies must help those who struggle with their energy bills but do not receive benefits.
The Metropolitan Borough of Bury has published their eligibility rules for the grant scheme in their Statement of Intent, giving residents a clear idea about how to apply. This post will discuss these specific guidelines and requirements so that you know what’s needed before getting started!

2. What grants are available?

The types of grants available to residents living in the Metropolitan Borough of Bury area include:

Boiler grants are expected to be removed from the grant scheme in the next phase so you should apply for this grant as soon as possible.

3. Who is eligible for grants?

Renters, homeowners and living in a housing association have a great chance for the grant. The easiest way to see if you are eligible is to use our eligibility checker here.

eco scheme eligibility rules for pensioners


There are 6 ways to qualify for a grant:

1. Receiving a qualifying benefit
2. Receiving Child Benefit and meeting income rules
3. Income-based eligibility (for households that earn less than £31,000 per year)
4. Vulnerable eligibility
5. Health-related eligibility
6. Bespoke targeting

This route to eligibility applies where a member of the household receives or has received a 'qualifying benefit'. If the benefit isn't a current claim (for example for households where they have gone back to work after the pandemic) providing the benefit has been claimed at some point within the last 12 months, the household will still be eligible for a grant.

Qualifying benefits include:

- Child Tax Credit

- Employment & Support Allowance (Income Based) - Income Support

- Housing Benefit

- Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)

- Pension Credit Guarantee Credit

- Pension Credit Savings Credit

- Universal Credit

- Working Tax Credit

Note if you receive any of the following benefits you could qualify later in the scheme (or through the ECO4 Flex routes). We advise anyone claiming the following benefits to register for updates so you are the first to know when these benefits are accepted.

- Armed Forces Independence Payment

- Attendance Allowance

- Carer's Allowance

- Constant Attendance Allowance

- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

- War Pensions Mobility Supplement

If you receive Child Benefit you could be eligible for the scheme but unlike the qualifying benefits above they would need to meet an additional income criteria.

The Child Benefit income criteria depends on the number of children in the household and also whether the claim is a single or joint claim.

The income limits are as follows:

Single parents

1 Child – £19,900
2 Children – £24,800
3 Children – £29,600
4+ Children – £34,500

Parents in a couple

1 Child – £27,500
2 Children – £32,300
3 Children – £37,200
4+ Children – £42,000

(figures updated to Ofgem’s Administration Consultation released on 13 June 2022)

If you are eligible through the Child Benefit route you should apply as soon as you can. The Government's Green Homes Grant excluded Child Benefit recipients so potentially this eligibility route could be removed later in the the scheme.

To be eligible through the income-based route your annual household income will need to be under £31,000. You will need to provide evidence such as bank statements and income information to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Vulnerable people can access grants if they meet two of the following criteria (1 & 3 can’t be used together):

1. Lives in a Lower Super Output Area

2. Receives Council Tax Rebate (excluding for single person discounts)

3. Householder has a disability, mental health condition, is over 65, school children or under 16 and pregnant women.

4. Receives free school meals due to a low income

5. Supported by a Council scheme described in a Statement of Intent

6. Households referred by a Citizen’s advice as struggling to pay gas and electricity bills

7. Households in energy debt

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

People with health conditions that are made worse by living in a cold home qualify.

These include:

- Cardiovascular diseases

- Immunosuppressed

- Mobility issues

- Respiratory conditions

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Installers can target specific groups of people living in fuel poverty. Installers will approach you if your property is eligible through this route.

Metropolitan Borough of Bury

If you DON'T claim benefits, the criteria for identifying households in fuel poverty in Metropolitan Borough of Bury are as follows:

Criteria for Metropolitan Borough of Bury eligible households

Income and Health
Low income (e.g. in receipt of income-related benefits, see below for a full list of benefits*, or a monthly income of less than £800 after paying mortgage or rent);

  • High energy costs (e.g. inadequate insulation or inefficient heating or energy bills of more than £1,400 per year if the property was heated adequately);
  • A household member of any age with a disability or long-term health condition that results in Asthma, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Coronary Heart Disease, Depression, Falls, Hypertension, Stroke or Transient Ischaemic Attack (TIA). See the full list of eligible illnesses and vulnerabilities.
  • If the resident meets the above and wishes to have an ‘A’ rated boiler they will require a letter from their GP to confirm their illness, and the resident would also sign a self-declaration form.

Low Income

Where the Council has reasonable evidence that the total household income fits into the categories in the table


Health Conditions

  • Cardiovascular condition (incl. coronary heart disease, stroke, hypertension, transient ischemic attack)
  • Respiratory condition (incl. COPD, asthma)
  • Neurological or neurobiological condition (incl. dementia, Parkinson’s disease, MS, epilepsy, fibromyalgia, ME)
  • Musculoskeletal conditions (incl. arthritis, limited mobility, recently attended hospital due to a fall)
  • Blood conditions (incl. Sickle cell disease, thalassemia)
  • Cancer
  • Moderate to severe mental illness (incl. schizophrenia bipolar disorder and depression were receiving regular treatment)
  • Severe learning disabilities
  • Autoimmune or immunodeficiency diseases (incl. lupus, diabetes, HIV)
  • Terminally ill
  • Other illness exacerbated by cold (confirmed by GP)
  • Vulnerability
  • On the Priority Services register of partner supplier
  • Core Group WHD recipient
  • Victim of domestic violence
  • Recent bereavement
  • Moving in and out of homelessness
  • Recent immigrant or asylum seeker
  • Physical or sensory disability
  • Solid wall insulation “in-fill” projects

Aberdeen City Council Energy Company (ECO) Eligibility

Was the home built before 1983?Yes10
Is the home of a non-traditional construction e.g. solid wall?Yes8
What type of home is it?Detached4
End terrace2
Mid terrace0
What is the main heating fuel?Gas-10
Oil or other fuel8
Does the property have three bedrooms or less?Yes6
Does at least one member of the household spend most of the day in the home?Yes4
This table details the criteria that Aberdeen City Council uses for Energy Company Obligation (ECO) eligibility (from their Statement of Intent published. on 30 June 2020).
M7 0
M7 3
M8 4
M8 6


North Manor
Radcliffe West
Radcliffe North
Radcliffe East
Pilkington Park
St Mary's

Eligibility does not guarantee funding. For full details see the full Statement of Intent.

5. How much could you get?

The amount of money you get on your heating system can depend on the type of property that you own. The Ofgem rules place an emphasis on what is currently installed, or if there was anything before when calculating lifetime savings calculations which provide installers with a funding value to give people like us what we need. Heating and other key information such as wall type and the number of bedrooms are used along with how much grant will be available for individual properties depending upon their needs.

The grants are currently available as follows (subject to survey and meeting eligibility rules):

Download your EPC

The grant is given to the registered installer, without repayment. They’ll be happy to explain this upfront and provide an estimate as they can do so with no questions asked – all while making sure there are never any hidden fees or costs on top too! A survey will tell if you qualify for a free grant that covers your needs.

Metropolitan Borough of Bury flexible energy (LA Flex) rules are detailed in this Statement of Intent

Apply for a grant

Check eligibility for grants

Fill in the short form to see if you are eligible for Government grants.