Mid Sussex District Council Flexible Energy Rules for Energy Company Obligation grants

Mid Sussex District Council Flexible Energy (LA Flex)

The Mid Sussex District Council is working hard to save their residents’ money. Residents can apply for ECO grants; the council offers energy-saving ways for more efficient homes!

Now you can have your heating system upgraded and save on monthly bills, with the Mid Sussex District Council’s flexible energy policy.

1. What is Local Authority Flexible Energy or LA Flex?

In the United Kingdom, where they are struggling with poverty and health issues related to it, there has been a new effort made for those in need. A “LA Flex” plan is set up by local authorities which provides funds such as if someone lives in cold homes- one of many at-risk factors for health problems linked to extreme poverty and energy poverty. The LA Flex will be run on an individual basis by each council who can make their own decisions about how much funding goes out based on what their needs assessment shows them that they need most urgently.
The Mid Sussex District Council has published their eligibility rules for the grant in a Statement of Intent, so residents can apply. This post will explain which residents within our district are eligible to apply and how much money is available!

2. What grants are available?

The types of grants available to residents living in the Mid Sussex District Council area include:

Boiler grants are expected to be removed from the grant scheme in the next phase so you should apply for this grant as soon as possible.

3. Who is eligible for grants?

The program will help all those who need it- whether they’re homeowners, tenants in a housing association, or renters. The easiest way to see if you are eligible is to use our eligibility checker here.

eco scheme eligibility rules for pensioners


There are 6 ways to qualify for a grant:

1. Receiving a qualifying benefit
2. Receiving Child Benefit and meeting income rules
3. Income-based eligibility (for households that earn less than £31,000 per year)
4. Vulnerable eligibility
5. Health-related eligibility
6. Bespoke targeting

This route to eligibility applies where a member of the household receives or has received a 'qualifying benefit'. If the benefit isn't a current claim (for example for households where they have gone back to work after the pandemic) providing the benefit has been claimed at some point within the last 12 months, the household will still be eligible for a grant.

Qualifying benefits include:

- Child Tax Credit

- Employment & Support Allowance (Income Based) - Income Support

- Housing Benefit

- Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)

- Pension Credit Guarantee Credit

- Pension Credit Savings Credit

- Universal Credit

- Working Tax Credit

Note if you receive any of the following benefits you could qualify later in the scheme (or through the ECO4 Flex routes). We advise anyone claiming the following benefits to register for updates so you are the first to know when these benefits are accepted.

- Armed Forces Independence Payment

- Attendance Allowance

- Carer's Allowance

- Constant Attendance Allowance

- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

- War Pensions Mobility Supplement

If you receive Child Benefit you could be eligible for the scheme but unlike the qualifying benefits above they would need to meet an additional income criteria.

The Child Benefit income criteria depends on the number of children in the household and also whether the claim is a single or joint claim.

The income limits are as follows:

Single parents

1 Child – £19,900
2 Children – £24,800
3 Children – £29,600
4+ Children – £34,500

Parents in a couple

1 Child – £27,500
2 Children – £32,300
3 Children – £37,200
4+ Children – £42,000

(figures updated to Ofgem’s Administration Consultation released on 13 June 2022)

If you are eligible through the Child Benefit route you should apply as soon as you can. The Government's Green Homes Grant excluded Child Benefit recipients so potentially this eligibility route could be removed later in the the scheme.

To be eligible through the income-based route your annual household income will need to be under £31,000. You will need to provide evidence such as bank statements and income information to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Vulnerable people can access grants if they meet two of the following criteria (1 & 3 can’t be used together):

1. Lives in a Lower Super Output Area

2. Receives Council Tax Rebate (excluding for single person discounts)

3. Householder has a disability, mental health condition, is over 65, school children or under 16 and pregnant women.

4. Receives free school meals due to a low income

5. Supported by a Council scheme described in a Statement of Intent

6. Households referred by a Citizen’s advice as struggling to pay gas and electricity bills

7. Households in energy debt

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

People with health conditions that are made worse by living in a cold home qualify.

These include:

- Cardiovascular diseases

- Immunosuppressed

- Mobility issues

- Respiratory conditions

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Installers can target specific groups of people living in fuel poverty. Installers will approach you if your property is eligible through this route.

Mid Sussex District Council

If you DON'T claim benefits, the criteria for identifying households in fuel poverty in Mid Sussex District Council are as follows:

Criteria for Mid Sussex District Council Fuel Poor Households

Low-Income Households

  • The household’s occupants are not in receipt of benefits (if in receipt of benefits, they are eligible under standard ECO Affordable Warmth criteria), and
  • The household’s income (after housing costs) is below the set threshold based on household composition, and
  • The household has savings of less than £10,000


High Energy Costs

  • The property is eligible for an ECO measure and,
  • The property has an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of D, E, F or G or
  • Where no EPC exists, a set of questions will be used to assess the likelihood of the property having high energy costs


Hurstpierpoint and Downs
High Weald
Copthorne and Worth
Crawley Down and Turners Hill
Ardingly and Balcombe
Burgess Hill Meeds
Burgess Hill Franklands
Burgess Hill Victoria
Burgess Hill St Andrews
Burgess Hill Leylands
Burgess Hill Dunstall
Haywards Heath Heath
Haywards Heath Lucastes
Haywards Heath Bentswood
Haywards Heath Franklands
Haywards Heath Ashenground
East Grinstead Town
East Grinstead Imberhorne
East Grinstead Baldwins
East Grinstead Herontye
East Grinstead Ashplats
Ashurst Wood


The eligibility does not guarantee grants. To see if you qualify, read the full Statement of Intent!

5. How much could you get?

With the amount of money you will be granted for your grant dependent on a lot, it’s important that you find out how much heating is needed in order to determine what kind of budget may apply.

The grants are currently available as follows (subject to survey and meeting eligibility rules):

Download your EPC

The grant will help with the cost of your installation and is paid directly to Registered Installer. A contribution towards costs can be expected, but it does not need to be repaid. The installer should explain what funding options are available before quoting a price for them if they’re necessary for advance so there’s nothing hidden from you first-hand!

Mid Sussex District Council flexible energy (LA Flex) rules are detailed in this Statement of Intent

A full list of all local authority flexible energy rules can be found on the gov.uk website

Apply for a grant

Check eligibility for grants

Fill in the short form to see if you are eligible for Government grants.