Pendle Borough Council Flexible Energy Rules for Energy Company Obligation grants

Pendle Borough Council Flexible Energy (LA Flex)

Pendle Borough Council has a flexible energy policy that allows residents to apply for ECO grants.

Ranging from things like insulation or heating, Pendle’s policies allow you the freedom of choice when it comes time to making changes on your property so they can match up with what is allowed by eco rules and regulations if these are something of interest then be sure to check out their set guidelines!

1. What is Local Authority Flexible Energy or LA Flex?

The Government has obligated energy suppliers to help provide funding that can be used towards heating costs as well as insulation. Local Authority Flexible Energy or LA Flex, a way for vulnerable and low-income households who live in cold homes but don’t receive benefits access grants so they do not have any more issues during wintertime.
The Pendle Borough Council has announced its eligibility rules for the grant scheme in a Statement of Intent. This post will explain those rules, so you know what matters when it comes to applying before time runs out!

2. What grants are available?

The types of grants available to residents living in the Pendle Borough Council area include:

3. Who is eligible for grants?

Whether you’re a homeowner, housing association tenant or private renter, there’s good news! You may qualify to receive assistance under this government-funded scheme.  The easiest way to see if you are eligible is to use our eligibility checker here.

eco scheme eligibility rules for pensioners


There are 6 ways to qualify for a grant:

1. Receiving a qualifying benefit
2. Receiving Child Benefit and meeting income rules
3. Income-based eligibility (for households that earn less than £31,000 per year)
4. Vulnerable eligibility
5. Health-related eligibility
6. Bespoke targeting

This route to eligibility applies where a member of the household receives or has received a 'qualifying benefit'. If the benefit isn't a current claim (for example for households where they have gone back to work after the pandemic) providing the benefit has been claimed at some point within the last 12 months, the household will still be eligible for a grant.

Qualifying benefits include:

- Child Tax Credit

- Employment & Support Allowance (Income Based) - Income Support

- Housing Benefit

- Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)

- Pension Credit Guarantee Credit

- Pension Credit Savings Credit

- Universal Credit

- Working Tax Credit

Note if you receive any of the following benefits you could qualify later in the scheme (or through the ECO4 Flex routes). We advise anyone claiming the following benefits to register for updates so you are the first to know when these benefits are accepted.

- Armed Forces Independence Payment

- Attendance Allowance

- Carer's Allowance

- Constant Attendance Allowance

- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

- War Pensions Mobility Supplement

If you receive Child Benefit you could be eligible for the scheme but unlike the qualifying benefits above they would need to meet an additional income criteria.

The Child Benefit income criteria depends on the number of children in the household and also whether the claim is a single or joint claim.

The income limits are as follows:

Single parents

1 Child – £19,900
2 Children – £24,800
3 Children – £29,600
4+ Children – £34,500

Parents in a couple

1 Child – £27,500
2 Children – £32,300
3 Children – £37,200
4+ Children – £42,000

(figures updated to Ofgem’s Administration Consultation released on 13 June 2022)

If you are eligible through the Child Benefit route you should apply as soon as you can. The Government's Green Homes Grant excluded Child Benefit recipients so potentially this eligibility route could be removed later in the the scheme.

To be eligible through the income-based route your annual household income will need to be under £31,000. You will need to provide evidence such as bank statements and income information to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Vulnerable people can access grants if they meet two of the following criteria (1 & 3 can’t be used together):

1. Lives in a Lower Super Output Area

2. Receives Council Tax Rebate (excluding for single person discounts)

3. Householder has a disability, mental health condition, is over 65, school children or under 16 and pregnant women.

4. Receives free school meals due to a low income

5. Supported by a Council scheme described in a Statement of Intent

6. Households referred by a Citizen’s advice as struggling to pay gas and electricity bills

7. Households in energy debt

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

People with health conditions that are made worse by living in a cold home qualify.

These include:

- Cardiovascular diseases

- Immunosuppressed

- Mobility issues

- Respiratory conditions

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Installers can target specific groups of people living in fuel poverty. Installers will approach you if your property is eligible through this route.

Pendle Borough Council

If you DON'T claim benefits, the criteria for identifying households in fuel poverty in Pendle Borough Council are as follows:

Criteria for Pendle Borough Council eligible households

Fuel Poverty

o has a total household income, not in excess of £30,000 and;
o has an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) of band D, E, F or G.

Vulnerable to Cold

o Diagnosed cardiovascular condition
o Diagnosed respiratory conditions (in particular, chronic obstructive pulmonary
disease and childhood asthma)
o Diagnosed mental health condition
o Diagnosed disability
o Aged 65 and over
o Households with young children (under 5)
o pregnant women
o Terminally ill
o Suppressed immune systems (e.g. from cancer treatment or HIV)
o Mobility issues and have attended hospital due to a fall

o people who move in and out of homelessness
o People with addictions
o Recent immigrants and refugees

Brierfield West & Reedley
Brierfield East & Clover Hill
Marsden & Southfield
Fence & Higham
Barrowford & Pendleside
Earby & Coates
Vivary Bridge
Waterside & Horsfield
Boulsworth & Foulridge
Whitefield & Walverden


5. How much could you get?

You get a grant, but it depends on many factors. One consideration is your heating system. It can depend on how well you heat your home, and how old the heating system is. The amount of the grant also varies based where you live. If there are installers available in your area, you may qualify for a grant.

The grants are currently available as follows (subject to survey and meeting eligibility rules):

Download your EPC

The grant will be paid to the company that installs your solar panels. This is a good thing because you won’t have to pay it back. If the company needs money from you, they will tell you before they start installation and they let you know what it would cost before doing anything. The installer will do a survey for free and then find out how much money is available to help with your project.

Pendle Borough Council flexible energy (LA Flex) rules are detailed in this Statement of Intent

A full list of all local authority flexible energy rules can be found on the website

Apply for a grant

Check eligibility for grants

Fill in the short form to see if you are eligible for Government grants.