Rother District Council Flexible Energy Rules for Energy Company Obligation grants

Rother District Council Flexible Energy (LA Flex)

The Rother District Council has a helpful policy that is flexible on the matter of energy efficiency. If you are interested in seeking out grant assistance, they will help residents apply for an Energy Company Obligation (ECO) Grant offered by them and all guidelines to show how one can install insulation or upgrade their heating system with council support should be looked over before applying for any ECO Grants from this source.

1. What is Local Authority Flexible Energy or LA Flex?

Save money, save the planet. The ECO program will lower your carbon emissions and help you tackle fuel poverty by switching off lights when they are not needed and changing to more efficient appliances.

In an effort to cut down on time-wasting, the Rother District Council has published a guide called Statement of Intent. This document will allow councils to better understand what grants they are going after and thus make it easier for them!

2. What grants are available?

The types of grants available to residents living in the Rother District Council  area include:

3. Who is eligible for grants?

The grant is the answer to all of your home improvement needs! The homeowners, housing association tenants and private renters need not fret. The easiest way to see if you are eligible is to use our eligibility checker here.

eco scheme eligibility rules for pensioners


There are 6 ways to qualify for a grant:

1. Receiving a qualifying benefit
2. Receiving Child Benefit and meeting income rules
3. Income-based eligibility (for households that earn less than £31,000 per year)
4. Vulnerable eligibility
5. Health-related eligibility
6. Bespoke targeting

This route to eligibility applies where a member of the household receives or has received a 'qualifying benefit'. If the benefit isn't a current claim (for example for households where they have gone back to work after the pandemic) providing the benefit has been claimed at some point within the last 12 months, the household will still be eligible for a grant.

Qualifying benefits include:

- Child Tax Credit

- Employment & Support Allowance (Income Based) - Income Support

- Housing Benefit

- Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)

- Pension Credit Guarantee Credit

- Pension Credit Savings Credit

- Universal Credit

- Working Tax Credit

Note if you receive any of the following benefits you could qualify later in the scheme (or through the ECO4 Flex routes). We advise anyone claiming the following benefits to register for updates so you are the first to know when these benefits are accepted.

- Armed Forces Independence Payment

- Attendance Allowance

- Carer's Allowance

- Constant Attendance Allowance

- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

- War Pensions Mobility Supplement

If you receive Child Benefit you could be eligible for the scheme but unlike the qualifying benefits above they would need to meet an additional income criteria.

The Child Benefit income criteria depends on the number of children in the household and also whether the claim is a single or joint claim.

The income limits are as follows:

Single parents

1 Child – £19,900
2 Children – £24,800
3 Children – £29,600
4+ Children – £34,500

Parents in a couple

1 Child – £27,500
2 Children – £32,300
3 Children – £37,200
4+ Children – £42,000

(figures updated to Ofgem’s Administration Consultation released on 13 June 2022)

If you are eligible through the Child Benefit route you should apply as soon as you can. The Government's Green Homes Grant excluded Child Benefit recipients so potentially this eligibility route could be removed later in the the scheme.

To be eligible through the income-based route your annual household income will need to be under £31,000. You will need to provide evidence such as bank statements and income information to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Vulnerable people can access grants if they meet two of the following criteria (1 & 3 can’t be used together):

1. Lives in a Lower Super Output Area

2. Receives Council Tax Rebate (excluding for single person discounts)

3. Householder has a disability, mental health condition, is over 65, school children or under 16 and pregnant women.

4. Receives free school meals due to a low income

5. Supported by a Council scheme described in a Statement of Intent

6. Households referred by a Citizen’s advice as struggling to pay gas and electricity bills

7. Households in energy debt

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

People with health conditions that are made worse by living in a cold home qualify.

These include:

- Cardiovascular diseases

- Immunosuppressed

- Mobility issues

- Respiratory conditions

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Installers can target specific groups of people living in fuel poverty. Installers will approach you if your property is eligible through this route.

Rother District Council

If you DON'T claim benefits, the criteria for identifying households in fuel poverty in Rother District Council are as follows:

Criteria for Rother District Council eligible households

a. Low-Income 

For low-income threshold see the table here

b. Vulnerable to Cold

a. people with cardiovascular conditions.
b. people with respiratory conditions (in particular, chronic obstructive pulmonary
disease and childhood asthma)
c. people with mental health conditions
d. people with disabilities
e. older people (65 and older)
f. households with young children (from new-born to school-age)
g. pregnant women
The following groups will also be considered vulnerable to the effects of living in a
cold home:
h. people with drug or alcohol dependency
i. people who have attended hospital due to a fall
j. people whose discharge from hospital or social care accommodation has been, or would be, delayed due to a cold home
k. people with a terminal illness
l. people with a suppressed immune system e.g. from cancer treatment or HIV



Bexhill St Marks
Hurst Green & Ticehurst
Northern Rother
Burwash & the Weald
Catsfield & Crowhurst
Rye & Winchelsea
Brede & Udimore
Eastern Rother
Sedlescombe & Westfield
North Battle, Netherfield & Whatlington
South Battle & Telham
Southern Rother
Bexhill Pebsham & St Michaels
Bexhill Collington
Bexhill Central
Bexhill Kewhurst
Bexhill St Stephens
Bexhill Old Town & Worsham
Bexhill Sidley
Bexhill Sackville


5. How much could you get?

It’s not always easy to get a grant for installing insulation, but there are some things you can do! You’ll have to go through the application and heating efficiency assessment process first before knowing which type of funding is available. For those who don’t know what they qualify for yet though, as long as your installation company has access to an Ofgem-approved installer in order to get one done then that will be eligible too!

The grants are currently available as follows (subject to survey and meeting eligibility rules):

Download your EPC

The Council installation grant is a prepaid offer that you must accept from the Registered Installer. This survey determines how much money they can give your project before giving an estimate, which beats any other option!

Rother District Council flexible energy (LA Flex) rules are detailed in this Statement of Intent

A full list of all local authority flexible energy rules can be found on the website

Apply for a grant

Check eligibility for grants

Fill in the short form to see if you are eligible for Government grants.