Sandwell Council Flexible Energy Rules for Energy Company Obligation grants

Sandwell Council Flexible Energy (LA Flex)

This is a great time of year to start planning for next winter. We’ve published all the rules and applications, so check them out here today. When you need insulation or heating in your home Sandwell Council may be able to help cover these expenses through their flexible energy policy with ECO funds that can provide assistance without having any upfront cost burden placed upon taxpayers – find more information here now!

1. What is Local Authority Flexible Energy or LA Flex?

The Local Authority Flexible Energy or LA Flex program is a grant that obligates energy companies by their ECO scheme, which provides grants towards purchasing efficiency for low-income households at risk due to weather conditions such as fuel poverty.
Don’t let those bills pile up – take action now by applying to any one program available from both schemes today! The rules for eligibility are straightforward and easy to understand. Don’t miss out on our Sandwell Council’s statement of intent, which outlines their grant scheme: this post will cover what you need to know about your application.

2. What grants are available?

The types of grants available to residents living in the Sandwell Council area include:

Boiler grants are expected to be removed from the grant scheme in the next phase so you should apply for this grant as soon as possible.

3. Who is eligible for grants?

Grants are available to help homeowners, renters and tenants with low income or who receive benefits. You’ll need a bit of qualification but it would be worth your time! The easiest way to see if you are eligible is to use our eligibility checker here.

eco scheme eligibility rules for pensioners


There are 6 ways to qualify for a grant:

1. Receiving a qualifying benefit
2. Receiving Child Benefit and meeting income rules
3. Income-based eligibility (for households that earn less than £31,000 per year)
4. Vulnerable eligibility
5. Health-related eligibility
6. Bespoke targeting

This route to eligibility applies where a member of the household receives or has received a 'qualifying benefit'. If the benefit isn't a current claim (for example for households where they have gone back to work after the pandemic) providing the benefit has been claimed at some point within the last 12 months, the household will still be eligible for a grant.

Qualifying benefits include:

- Child Tax Credit

- Employment & Support Allowance (Income Based) - Income Support

- Housing Benefit

- Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)

- Pension Credit Guarantee Credit

- Pension Credit Savings Credit

- Universal Credit

- Working Tax Credit

Note if you receive any of the following benefits you could qualify later in the scheme (or through the ECO4 Flex routes). We advise anyone claiming the following benefits to register for updates so you are the first to know when these benefits are accepted.

- Armed Forces Independence Payment

- Attendance Allowance

- Carer's Allowance

- Constant Attendance Allowance

- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

- War Pensions Mobility Supplement

If you receive Child Benefit you could be eligible for the scheme but unlike the qualifying benefits above they would need to meet an additional income criteria.

The Child Benefit income criteria depends on the number of children in the household and also whether the claim is a single or joint claim.

The income limits are as follows:

Single parents

1 Child – £19,900
2 Children – £24,800
3 Children – £29,600
4+ Children – £34,500

Parents in a couple

1 Child – £27,500
2 Children – £32,300
3 Children – £37,200
4+ Children – £42,000

(figures updated to Ofgem’s Administration Consultation released on 13 June 2022)

If you are eligible through the Child Benefit route you should apply as soon as you can. The Government's Green Homes Grant excluded Child Benefit recipients so potentially this eligibility route could be removed later in the the scheme.

To be eligible through the income-based route your annual household income will need to be under £31,000. You will need to provide evidence such as bank statements and income information to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Vulnerable people can access grants if they meet two of the following criteria (1 & 3 can’t be used together):

1. Lives in a Lower Super Output Area

2. Receives Council Tax Rebate (excluding for single person discounts)

3. Householder has a disability, mental health condition, is over 65, school children or under 16 and pregnant women.

4. Receives free school meals due to a low income

5. Supported by a Council scheme described in a Statement of Intent

6. Households referred by a Citizen’s advice as struggling to pay gas and electricity bills

7. Households in energy debt

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

People with health conditions that are made worse by living in a cold home qualify.

These include:

- Cardiovascular diseases

- Immunosuppressed

- Mobility issues

- Respiratory conditions

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Installers can target specific groups of people living in fuel poverty. Installers will approach you if your property is eligible through this route.

Sandwell Council

If you DON'T claim benefits, the criteria for identifying households in fuel poverty in Sandwell Council are as follows:

Fuel Poverty

  • Property EPC rating of D, E, F or G
  • A total Gross Household Income not exceeding £30,000 per annum.


Vulnerable to Cold

  • Chronic respiratory condition, or
  • Cardiovascular condition, or
  • Musculoskeletal illness, or
  • Mental health condition
  • over 70 years of age, or
  • pregnant women, or
  • have dependent children under 5 years of age


Soho and Victoria
St Pauls
West Bromwich Central
Great Barr with Yew Tree
Charlemont with Grove Vale
Cradley Heath and Old Hill
Old Warley
Greets Green and Lyng
Great Bridge
Wednesbury South
Hateley Heath
Princes End
Tipton Green
Friar Park
Wednesbury North


Eligibility does not guarantee funding. For full details see the full Statement of Intent.

5. How much could you get?

Grants for home heating are available to people who need help with their energy bills. The amount of the grant depends on a range of factors, including what type and how many bedrooms your house has as well as wall types such as a cavity or solid walls – it also helps if there’s an existing system in place that needs replacing because then we can figure out just how much assistance will meet your needs best!

The grants are currently available as follows (subject to survey and meeting eligibility rules):

Download your EPC

You can find free grants for the installation of your home’s heating and insulation. Grants are paid directly to installers, who have no repayment requirements! Where contributions towards installation cost may be required there will be an explanation before proceeding so that all parties know what is expected from them ahead of time too – do not hesitate to take advantage today because these offers won’t last long!

Sandwell Council flexible energy (LA Flex) rules are detailed in this Statement of Intent

Apply for a grant

Check eligibility for grants

Fill in the short form to see if you are eligible for Government grants.