Scarborough District Council Flexible Energy Rules for Energy Company Obligation grants

Scarborough District Council Flexible Energy (LA Flex)

It’s never too early to start planning for the upcoming year! If you need new insulation or heating, Scarborough District Council may be able to provide assistance through their flexible energy policy with ECO funds that can help cover these expenses. They’ve published all rules so interested parties know what they’ll need before submitting an application – check it out here today!.

1. What is Local Authority Flexible Energy or LA Flex?

Think this winter will be tough? Consider what it would be like if you couldn’t keep your home heated and insulated. The cost of heating & cooling keeps rising, but there are ways that people can prepare and improve their quality of life through Local Authority Flexible Energy or LA Flex programs that obligates energy companies by their ECO scheme which provides grants towards purchasing energy efficiency for households with low incomes at risk due to weather conditions such as fuel poverty!
Don’t let those bills pile up – take action now by applying to any one program available from both schemes today!
The rules for eligibility are straightforward and easy to understand. The Scarborough District Council has published their statement of intent in which they outline the grant scheme, this post will cover what you need to know about applying!

2. What grants are available?

The types of grants available to residents living in the Scarborough District Council area include:

Boiler grants are expected to be removed from the grant scheme in the next phase so you should apply for this grant as soon as possible.

3. Who is eligible for grants?

Grants are available to help everyone a homeowner, a housing association tenant or a private renter with low income or who receive benefits. You’ll need to qualify for the grant, but it would be worth it! The easiest way to see if you are eligible is to use our eligibility checker here.

eco scheme eligibility rules for pensioners


There are 6 ways to qualify for a grant:

1. Receiving a qualifying benefit
2. Receiving Child Benefit and meeting income rules
3. Income-based eligibility (for households that earn less than £31,000 per year)
4. Vulnerable eligibility
5. Health-related eligibility
6. Bespoke targeting

This route to eligibility applies where a member of the household receives or has received a 'qualifying benefit'. If the benefit isn't a current claim (for example for households where they have gone back to work after the pandemic) providing the benefit has been claimed at some point within the last 12 months, the household will still be eligible for a grant.

Qualifying benefits include:

- Child Tax Credit

- Employment & Support Allowance (Income Based) - Income Support

- Housing Benefit

- Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)

- Pension Credit Guarantee Credit

- Pension Credit Savings Credit

- Universal Credit

- Working Tax Credit

Note if you receive any of the following benefits you could qualify later in the scheme (or through the ECO4 Flex routes). We advise anyone claiming the following benefits to register for updates so you are the first to know when these benefits are accepted.

- Armed Forces Independence Payment

- Attendance Allowance

- Carer's Allowance

- Constant Attendance Allowance

- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

- War Pensions Mobility Supplement

If you receive Child Benefit you could be eligible for the scheme but unlike the qualifying benefits above they would need to meet an additional income criteria.

The Child Benefit income criteria depends on the number of children in the household and also whether the claim is a single or joint claim.

The income limits are as follows:

Single parents

1 Child – £19,900
2 Children – £24,800
3 Children – £29,600
4+ Children – £34,500

Parents in a couple

1 Child – £27,500
2 Children – £32,300
3 Children – £37,200
4+ Children – £42,000

(figures updated to Ofgem’s Administration Consultation released on 13 June 2022)

If you are eligible through the Child Benefit route you should apply as soon as you can. The Government's Green Homes Grant excluded Child Benefit recipients so potentially this eligibility route could be removed later in the the scheme.

To be eligible through the income-based route your annual household income will need to be under £31,000. You will need to provide evidence such as bank statements and income information to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Vulnerable people can access grants if they meet two of the following criteria (1 & 3 can’t be used together):

1. Lives in a Lower Super Output Area

2. Receives Council Tax Rebate (excluding for single person discounts)

3. Householder has a disability, mental health condition, is over 65, school children or under 16 and pregnant women.

4. Receives free school meals due to a low income

5. Supported by a Council scheme described in a Statement of Intent

6. Households referred by a Citizen’s advice as struggling to pay gas and electricity bills

7. Households in energy debt

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

People with health conditions that are made worse by living in a cold home qualify.

These include:

- Cardiovascular diseases

- Immunosuppressed

- Mobility issues

- Respiratory conditions

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Installers can target specific groups of people living in fuel poverty. Installers will approach you if your property is eligible through this route.

Scarborough District Council

If you DON'T claim benefits, the criteria for identifying households in fuel poverty in Scarborough District Council are as follows:

Fuel Poverty

  • Property EPC rating of D, E, F or G
  • A total Gross Household Income not exceeding £30,000 per annum.


Vulnerable to Cold

  • Chronic respiratory condition, or
  • Cardiovascular condition, or
  • Musculoskeletal illness, or
  • Mental health condition
  • over 70 years of age, or
  • pregnant women, or
  • have dependent children under 5 years of age
Danby & Mulgrave
Burniston & Cloughton
Falsgrave & Stepney
Weaponness & Ramshill
Derwent Valley & Moor
Fylingdales & Ravenscar
Whitby West Cliff
Esk Valley


Eligibility does not guarantee funding. For full details see the full Statement of Intent.

5. How much could you get?

Grants for home heating are available to people who need help with their energy bills. The amount of the grant depends on a range of factors, including what type and how many bedrooms your house has as well as wall types such as a cavity or solid walls. It also helps if there’s an existing system in place that needs replacing because then we can figure out just how much assistance will meet your needs best!

The grants are currently available as follows (subject to survey and meeting eligibility rules):

Download your EPC

You can find free grants for the installation of your home’s heating and insulation. Grants are paid directly to Registered Installers, who have no repayment requirements! Where contributions towards installation cost may be required there will be an explanation before proceeding so that all parties know what is expected from them ahead of time too – do not hesitate to take advantage today because these offers won’t last long!!

Apply for a grant

Check eligibility for grants

Fill in the short form to see if you are eligible for Government grants.