Waverley Borough Council Flexible Energy Rules for Energy Company Obligation grants

Waverley Borough Council Flexible Energy (LA Flex)

The Waverley Borough Council offers many ways for you to save money. They have an eco-friendly grant program that can help with heating upgrades, electricity bills are now more affordable due their flexible energy policy!

1. What is Local Authority Flexible Energy or LA Flex?

The UK has a new plan that will benefit those struggling with poverty and health issues related to it. The “LA Flex” is an initiative run by local authorities which provides funds such as if someone lives in cold homes – one of many at-risk factors for these types problems linked back into extreme levels, energy deprivation being just one example among others like lack access running water due directly from not having enough wealth where everybody deserves basic needs met regardless their circumstances or how much money they make each month!
The Waverley Borough Council has published their eligibility rules for the grant in a Statement of Intent, so residents can apply. This post will explain which residents within our district are eligible to apply and how much money is available!

2. What grants are available?

The types of grants available to residents living in the Waverley Borough Council area include:

Boiler grants are expected to be removed from the grant scheme in the next phase so you should apply for this grant as soon as possible.

3. Who is eligible for grants?

The program will help all those who need it- whether they’re homeowners, tenants in a housing association, or renters. The easiest way to see if you are eligible is to use our eligibility checker here.

eco scheme eligibility rules for pensioners


There are 6 ways to qualify for a grant:

1. Receiving a qualifying benefit
2. Receiving Child Benefit and meeting income rules
3. Income-based eligibility (for households that earn less than £31,000 per year)
4. Vulnerable eligibility
5. Health-related eligibility
6. Bespoke targeting

This route to eligibility applies where a member of the household receives or has received a 'qualifying benefit'. If the benefit isn't a current claim (for example for households where they have gone back to work after the pandemic) providing the benefit has been claimed at some point within the last 12 months, the household will still be eligible for a grant.

Qualifying benefits include:

- Child Tax Credit

- Employment & Support Allowance (Income Based) - Income Support

- Housing Benefit

- Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)

- Pension Credit Guarantee Credit

- Pension Credit Savings Credit

- Universal Credit

- Working Tax Credit

Note if you receive any of the following benefits you could qualify later in the scheme (or through the ECO4 Flex routes). We advise anyone claiming the following benefits to register for updates so you are the first to know when these benefits are accepted.

- Armed Forces Independence Payment

- Attendance Allowance

- Carer's Allowance

- Constant Attendance Allowance

- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

- War Pensions Mobility Supplement

If you receive Child Benefit you could be eligible for the scheme but unlike the qualifying benefits above they would need to meet an additional income criteria.

The Child Benefit income criteria depends on the number of children in the household and also whether the claim is a single or joint claim.

The income limits are as follows:

Single parents

1 Child – £19,900
2 Children – £24,800
3 Children – £29,600
4+ Children – £34,500

Parents in a couple

1 Child – £27,500
2 Children – £32,300
3 Children – £37,200
4+ Children – £42,000

(figures updated to Ofgem’s Administration Consultation released on 13 June 2022)

If you are eligible through the Child Benefit route you should apply as soon as you can. The Government's Green Homes Grant excluded Child Benefit recipients so potentially this eligibility route could be removed later in the the scheme.

To be eligible through the income-based route your annual household income will need to be under £31,000. You will need to provide evidence such as bank statements and income information to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Vulnerable people can access grants if they meet two of the following criteria (1 & 3 can’t be used together):

1. Lives in a Lower Super Output Area

2. Receives Council Tax Rebate (excluding for single person discounts)

3. Householder has a disability, mental health condition, is over 65, school children or under 16 and pregnant women.

4. Receives free school meals due to a low income

5. Supported by a Council scheme described in a Statement of Intent

6. Households referred by a Citizen’s advice as struggling to pay gas and electricity bills

7. Households in energy debt

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

People with health conditions that are made worse by living in a cold home qualify.

These include:

- Cardiovascular diseases

- Immunosuppressed

- Mobility issues

- Respiratory conditions

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Installers can target specific groups of people living in fuel poverty. Installers will approach you if your property is eligible through this route.

Waverley Borough Council

If you DON'T claim benefits, the criteria for identifying households in fuel poverty in Waverley Borough Council are as follows:

Low-Income Households

  • The household annual savings of £10,648 to £27,448
  • EPC Rating of D, E, F and G


Vulnerable to Cold

a. people with cardiovascular conditions
b. people with respiratory conditions (in particular, chronic obstructive pulmonary
disease and childhood asthma)
c. people with mental health conditions
d. people with disabilities
e. older people (65 and older)
f. young children (under 5)
g. pregnant women
h. people with addictions
i. people who have attended hospital due to a fall
j. Terminal illness
k. suppressed immune system e.g. from cancer treatment or HIV (inclusion as
recommended by Health Booster Fund projects)



Farnham Castle
Farnham Moor Park
Farnham Weybourne and Badshot Lea
Frensham, Dockenfield and Tilford
Elstead and Thursley
Farnham Bourne
Farnham Wrecclesham and Rowledge
Farnham Shortheath and Boundstone
Farnham Upper Hale
Haslemere Critchmere and Shottermill
Haslemere East and Grayswood
Chiddingfold and Dunsfold
Blackheath and Wonersh
Bramley, Busbridge and Hascombe
Shamley Green and Cranleigh North
Cranleigh West
Cranleigh East
Alfold, Cranleigh Rural and Ellens Green
Godalming Central and Ockford
Godalming Holloway
Godalming Farncombe and Catteshall
Godalming Charterhouse
Godalming Binscombe
Witley and Hambledon
Farnham Hale and Heath End
Farnham Firgrove


The eligibility does not guarantee grants. To see if you qualify, read the full Statement of Intent!

5. How much could you get?

Apply for a grant! The amount of money you will receive is dependent on the type, so it’s important to find out how much heating needs before deciding what kind may apply.

The grants are currently available as follows (subject to survey and meeting eligibility rules):

Download your EPC

The installation grant will help with the cost and is paid directly to the installer. A contribution towards costs can be expected, but it does not need to be repaid! The contractor should explain funding options before quoting a price for them if necessary so there’s nothing hidden from you first-hand!

Waverley Borough Council flexible energy (LA Flex) rules are detailed in this Statement of Intent

Apply for a grant

Check eligibility for grants

Fill in the short form to see if you are eligible for Government grants.