Wyre Forest District Council Flexible Energy Rules for Energy Company Obligation grants

Wyre Council Flexible Energy (LA Flex)

The Wyre Council is taking steps to help residents save money on utilities! Residents can apply for Energy Company Obligation (ECO) grants if they’d like. These handy little grants will allow you to install insulation or upgrade your heating system, so that way when winter comes around again, you won’t have any worries about how much it’ll cost and whether or not these upgrades are worth the hassle.

1. What is Local Authority Flexible Energy or LA Flex?

Local Authority Flexible Energy or LA Flex is a way for those who are living on low income and vulnerable to cold homes but don’t receive benefits to access Government Grants for heating, insulation.

There’s help as the Government has obligated energy suppliers through The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) that will provide funding towards heaters and insulation.
Wyre Council announced the availability of their new grant scheme and if you are interested in applying for energy-efficiency grants then this post will show how to qualify.

2. What grants are available?

The types of grants available to residents living in the Wyre Council area include:

3. Who is eligible for grants?

If you are a renter, housing association tenant, or private homeowner the government is providing help with home insulation. The easiest way to see if you are eligible is to use our eligibility checker here.

eco scheme eligibility rules for pensioners


There are 6 ways to qualify for a grant:

1. Receiving a qualifying benefit
2. Receiving Child Benefit and meeting income rules
3. Income-based eligibility (for households that earn less than £31,000 per year)
4. Vulnerable eligibility
5. Health-related eligibility
6. Bespoke targeting

This route to eligibility applies where a member of the household receives or has received a 'qualifying benefit'. If the benefit isn't a current claim (for example for households where they have gone back to work after the pandemic) providing the benefit has been claimed at some point within the last 12 months, the household will still be eligible for a grant.

Qualifying benefits include:

- Child Tax Credit

- Employment & Support Allowance (Income Based) - Income Support

- Housing Benefit

- Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)

- Pension Credit Guarantee Credit

- Pension Credit Savings Credit

- Universal Credit

- Working Tax Credit

Note if you receive any of the following benefits you could qualify later in the scheme (or through the ECO4 Flex routes). We advise anyone claiming the following benefits to register for updates so you are the first to know when these benefits are accepted.

- Armed Forces Independence Payment

- Attendance Allowance

- Carer's Allowance

- Constant Attendance Allowance

- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

- War Pensions Mobility Supplement

If you receive Child Benefit you could be eligible for the scheme but unlike the qualifying benefits above they would need to meet an additional income criteria.

The Child Benefit income criteria depends on the number of children in the household and also whether the claim is a single or joint claim.

The income limits are as follows:

Single parents

1 Child – £19,900
2 Children – £24,800
3 Children – £29,600
4+ Children – £34,500

Parents in a couple

1 Child – £27,500
2 Children – £32,300
3 Children – £37,200
4+ Children – £42,000

(figures updated to Ofgem’s Administration Consultation released on 13 June 2022)

If you are eligible through the Child Benefit route you should apply as soon as you can. The Government's Green Homes Grant excluded Child Benefit recipients so potentially this eligibility route could be removed later in the the scheme.

To be eligible through the income-based route your annual household income will need to be under £31,000. You will need to provide evidence such as bank statements and income information to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Vulnerable people can access grants if they meet two of the following criteria (1 & 3 can’t be used together):

1. Lives in a Lower Super Output Area

2. Receives Council Tax Rebate (excluding for single person discounts)

3. Householder has a disability, mental health condition, is over 65, school children or under 16 and pregnant women.

4. Receives free school meals due to a low income

5. Supported by a Council scheme described in a Statement of Intent

6. Households referred by a Citizen’s advice as struggling to pay gas and electricity bills

7. Households in energy debt

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

People with health conditions that are made worse by living in a cold home qualify.

These include:

- Cardiovascular diseases

- Immunosuppressed

- Mobility issues

- Respiratory conditions

A medical practitioner will need to complete a referral form to confirm eligibility.

This is an ECO4 Flex route so it requires the applicants council to have published a Statement of Intent and to issue eligibility declarations.

Installers can target specific groups of people living in fuel poverty. Installers will approach you if your property is eligible through this route.

Wyre Council

If you DON'T claim benefits, the criteria for identifying households in fuel poverty in Wyre Council are as follows:

Criteria for Wyre Council eligible households

Fuel Poverty

o has a total household income, not in excess of £30,000 and;
o has an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) of band D, E, F, or G.

Vulnerable to Cold

o Diagnosed cardiovascular condition
o Diagnosed respiratory conditions (in particular, chronic obstructive pulmonary
disease and childhood asthma)
o Diagnosed mental health condition
o Diagnosed disability
o Aged 65 and over
o Households with young children (under 5)
o pregnant women
o Terminally ill
o Suppressed immune systems (e.g. from cancer treatment or HIV)
o Mobility issues and have attended hospital due to a fall

o people who move in and out of homelessness
o People with addictions
o Recent immigrants and refugees



Hardhorn with High Cross
Marsh Mill
Cleveleys Park
Pheasant's Wood
Victoria & Norcross
Hambleton & Stalmine
Brock with Catterall
Great Eccleston


5. How much could you get?

The amount of a grant is based on things like heating and how many bedrooms your home has to get money from it. The rules for Ofgem are big with emphasis on heating requirements. The installers available in the area would also affect the grant value and eligibility.

The grants are currently available as follows (subject to survey and meeting eligibility rules):

Download your EPC

The grant is paid directly to the Registered Installer and because it doesn’t have to be repaid, you can rest easy knowing that your wallet won’t suffer. The free no-obligation survey will determine what funding is available for me so I don’t get in over my head financially with installation costs.

Wyre Council flexible energy (LA Flex) rules are detailed in this Statement of Intent

A full list of all local authority flexible energy rules can be found on the gov.uk website

Apply for a grant

Check eligibility for grants

Fill in the short form to see if you are eligible for Government grants.