Welcome to the official blog of Energy Saving Genie! We are dedicated to helping homeowners find ways to make their homes more energy-efficient. We promote UK Government grant schemes as they are often the most cost effective way to improve your home, reduce your energy bills and minimise your carbon footprint.
In this article, we will shed light on a generous grant opportunity for homeowners with a back boiler installed. There is currently a fully-funded back boiler removal grant available to homeowners in England, Scotland and Wales. Not only does the grant include removal of the existing back boiler, it also covers the installation of a new A-Rated efficient mains gas boiler (if you are connected to gas) or a heat pump if you don’t have mains gas in your area.
So if you’re looking to upgrade your back boiler, improve your home’s energy efficiency and save money on your utility bills you’ve come to the right place. Let’s dive in!
Understanding Back Boilers
Back boilers were once a popular choice for heating systems, especially in older homes. They were typically situated behind fireplaces and relied on a chimney to vent the combustion gases. While they provided warmth, these systems were not very energy-efficient. Over time, advancements in technology have introduced more energy-efficient alternatives, making back boilers obsolete.
The Importance of Removing Back Boilers
Removing a back boiler is a crucial step towards improving the energy efficiency of your home. By replacing it with a modern and more efficient heating system you can enjoy a range of benefits:
- Enhanced Energy Efficiency: New heating systems offer higher energy efficiency ratings, which means reduced energy consumption and lower utility bills.
- Improved Heating Performance: Modern boilers provide better heat output, ensuring a consistent and comfortable indoor temperature throughout your home.
- Eco-Friendly Solution: By upgrading to a more energy-efficient system you are contributing to reducing greenhouse gas emissions, thereby helping combat climate change.
- Increased Property Value: Upgrading your heating system adds value to your property, making it more attractive to potential buyers.
Back Boiler Removal Grant
The good news is that homeowners can get a 100% funded and free back boiler removal and replacement grant under the Government’s Energy Company Obligation grant scheme. This grant scheme aims to encourage the removal of outdated back boilers and promote the adoption of more energy-efficient heating systems.
Key Facts about the back boiler removal grants:
- Eligibility: The grant is available to homeowners throughout England, Scotland and Wales. Your home will need to have a low energy efficiency rating to qualify, and if you have a back boiler this is likely to be the case. Someone living at the property will also need to be eligible for funding through one of the 6 ways to qualify such as through receiving benefits, meeting income rules, having a health issue or being vulnerable. Check eligibility now in 23 seconds or less >
- Financial Support: The grant typically provides 100% funding to cover the cost of removing the back boiler and installing a more efficient heating system. The amount of funding may vary depending on your location, your individual circumstances and your property. Additionally, you could qualify to have free insulation installed as part of the grant package (if your home isn’t already insulated). Check eligibility now in 23 seconds or less >
- Government Backed Grant Scheme: These grants are available as part of the Government’s Energy Company Obligation scheme, which has £4 billion available to upgrade inefficient homes across the UK. Check eligibility now in 23 seconds or less >
How to Access a Back Boiler Removal and Upgrade Grant
To take advantage and secure yourself a back boiler removal and upgrade grant, follow these simple steps:
- Use our free grant checker to check your eligibility and apply. We have a network of 30+ registered installers, and they have contracts with all of the major energy companies funding the grants
- Provide photos of your back boiler to expedite your application
- Answer the call when you are contacted by the registered installer, and answer any questions they may have
- If your property is eligible, the registered installer will arrange the removal of your back boiler and installation of your new heating system. On completion they’ll issue all guarantees and warranties, and you’ll have a new A-Rated heating system with lower energy bills
Upgrading your back boiler through the Energy Company Obligation scheme is a great way to enhance your home’s energy efficiency, reduce your carbon footprint, and save on your utility bills. If you have a back boiler (or any other inefficient heating) all you need to do is to complete the free grant checker.
Fill in the short form to see if you are eligible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get a grant to remove a back boiler?
If you have a back boiler it is likely your property will be classed as having inefficient heating. There’s £4 billion of grants available to upgrade old heating systems, and back boilers can be removed and upgraded for free if you meet the eligibility criteria. Check if you qualify with our free grant checker.
Is it illegal to sell a house with a back boiler?
While you could potential sell your house with a back boiler or broken boiler (providing you disclose it) you could also upgrade it before you move. Energy Company Obligation grants don’t need to be repaid if you move, so you could apply for a grant in your existing home, and again in your new property. A new heating system will also be more attractive to potential buyers
What are the removal costs of a back boiler?
If your property qualifies for these generous back boiler grants your back boiler will be removed for free, and new heating (including radiators and potentially insulation) will be installed for free, as the grants cover 100% of the cost.
Why do I need to replace my gas back boiler with a different type?
Replacing your gas back boiler with a different heating system is necessary for several reasons. Firstly, gas back boilers are known to be inefficient compared to modern heating systems. By upgrading to a more efficient boiler, you can reduce energy consumption and lower your utility bills. Additionally, modern boilers provide improved heating performance, ensuring a more consistent and comfortable temperature in your home. Lastly, replacing your gas back boiler with more efficient heating systems allows you to embrace eco-friendly solutions and reduce your carbon footprint, contributing to a greener environment.
Where to get a back boiler upgrade grant from?
Back boiler upgrade grants are available through the Energy Company Obligation grant scheme. To access the grants you need to complete a short grant application form. This form will provide information on eligibility criteria and guide you through the application process.
How much does back boiler replacement cost, including all pipework?
The cost of a back boiler replacement, including all pipework, can vary depending on factors such as the type of new boiler, the complexity of the installation, and your geographical location. When you apply for the grant the installer will assess your specific requirements and provide you with details of what will be covered by the grant scheme. There is nothing to pay towards the installation if the property is eligible for funding.
How can I apply for a free boiler grant or a boiler replacement grant?
To apply for a free boiler grant or a boiler replacement grant use our free grant checker. The form will ask you to provide information about your current heating system, your eligibility based on specific criteria (such as income or property type), and any documentation that may be required to support the application. The process is simple, and you will usually get an immediate indication of eligibility. If you are eligible you will be connected with a registered installer with funding to upgrade back boilers in your area.
Fill in the short form to see if you are eligible.